Civil Engineering Technologist - Geotechnical
KGS Group is seeking a Civil Engineering Technologist to join our well-established Geotechnical Department in Winnipeg, MB.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. Working with us means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
As a Civil Engineering Technologist in the Geotechnical Department, you will:
- Perform geotechnical investigations including subsurface drilling investigations, test pitting and site inspections.
- Inspect earthworks, rock excavation, formwork, reinforcement, concrete placement, and steel structures.
- Monitor contractor performance and activities.
- Update and record field revisions for “As-Built” documents.
- Establish and maintain close liaison with the contractor’s personnel on all aspects of the work.
- Assist in gathering technical information for reports, specifications, and analysis.
- Perform basic calculations and present them in a logical and organized manner.
- Effectively and accurately communicate information and ideas.
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experiences. Some highlights could include:
- Completion of a two-year or three-year civil engineering technology diploma or equivalent.
- Be able to perform basic soil classification.
- Be able to perform basic survey functions using a level.
- Have excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office software and AutoCAD 2018.
- Work efficiently and effectively with little supervision, as an individual and with a team.
- Be capable of interpreting Engineering drawings and have a thorough understanding of engineering terminology, processes and procedures.
- Be committed to Quality Assurance and safe work practices.
- Safely perform work in the office and field; fieldwork may occur in all seasonal weather conditions, in areas of rough terrain, using equipment (with an ability to lift and move approximately 50 pounds without assistance) and operating vehicles on behalf of the company.
- Be willing to travel for work outside the City of Winnipeg.
- An above average technical aptitude and a desire to further develop technical knowledge.
- Must hold a valid class 5 driver’s license.
- The ability to successfully meet tight deadlines while producing accurate and highly detailed data.
- The ability to work efficiently and effectively with little supervision, as an individual and with a team.
- Willing and able to work extended hours, when needed, to meet deadlines.
- The ability to visualize and communicate complex construction details.
- Willingness to learn new software programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.