Civil / Structural Department Head
We're looking for a Civil / Structural Department Head with 10-15 years of experience to join our well established office in Mississauga, Ontario.
KGS Group is a multidisciplinary employee-owned consulting firm with offices in Winnipeg, Regina, Mississauga, Thunder Bay, and Seattle (WA). We offer a dynamic working environment with opportunities to develop a successful career in consulting engineering.
With approximately 30 engineers, scientists and support staff based in Mississauga, we offer numerous opportunities to learn, develop and lead. We work together, creating innovative solutions for our clients in a friendly, flexible work environment. It's a place where you can apply your abilities and contribute to challenging and meaningful projects all throughout Canada and beyond.
The Department Head will have the ability and experience to motivate and drive employees to achieve KGS Group's business goals and objectives. Strong people management skills are essential to encourage employee development and to ensure employees are engaged and efficient at all times. The Department Head will drive business development, lead with integrity; demonstrate effective and efficient organizational skills.
They will serve as a liaison between their department, Senior Management and the rest of the organization. To fulfil these responsibilities, a reasonable amount of administrative time is anticipated in proportion to the size of their department. However, Department Heads are still expected to spend the majority of their time actively managing projects and supporting Project Managers within their department, which is chargeable to those projects.
Department Heads will assign tasks and share duties with their Assistant Department Heads as applicable. Other specific roles and responsibilities include the following:
Business Development and Planning:
- Collaborates with Senior Management to explore and support business development opportunities;
- Prepares monthly project and proposal forecasts and reports;
- Maintains existing client base and/or identifies new clients;
- Monitors Project Manager to Client relationships.
- Develops best practices to achieve corporate and department goals and ensures that all department staff follow KGS Group's policies and procedures;
- Approves department overhead time charges weekly;
- Approves vacation requests and optimizes department vacation schedules;
- Manages department budgets and resources as assigned by Senior Management.
- Assists Senior Management in employee recruitment, promotion, retention, termination activities and succession planning;
- Ensures employees get the tools, coaching, and development they need to do their jobs;
- Builds positive working environment for employees and addresses any concerns / grievances.
Project / Proposal Management:
- Coordinates proposal preparation and development of winning strategy;
- Assigns Project Manager and allocates resources to proposals and projects;
- Assists with reconciling billing rates, effort and schedule during proposal preparation;
- Provides direction and support to Project Managers in planning and executing projects;
- Provides technical guidance and reviews deliverables as required;
- Tracks and enhances employee chargeability and efficiency;
- In this role, you'll manage structural design of multi-discipline projects from the proposal stage through to completion, including establishment and maintenance of budgets and schedules;
- You will provide structural design of small to large commercial and industrial projects;
- Working in a team environment with our other structural department personnel, management and administrative staff, you will prepare tender and construction documents or reports;
- You will prepare technical reports;
- As a senior member of our structural team, you'll also mentor junior staff and manage support personnel as required.
Your Qualifications and Credentials
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering specializing in structural design from a recognized university;
- Typically 15 years of experience, which will be a combination of technical, supervisory and business management experience;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential;
- Organizational and time skills with ability to manage diverse workloads, often with conflicting deadlines and priorities;
- Strong leadership skills in order to provide effective department management;
- Ability to work independently, use initiative, and make informed decisions and recommendations;
- Ability to initiate, accept and implement changes and innovations;
- Ability to manage budgets and provide financial reports;
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook;
- Ability to assess and manage project and corporate risk.
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity please send us your resume.send resume