Intermediate or Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
KGS Group is seeking an Intermediate or Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join our well-established Mechanical Department in Mississauga, ON.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. It’s a place where you can apply your abilities and contribute to challenging and meaningful projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll also have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
KGS Group provides engineering services for power generation and heavy industrial projects. The nature of the assignments this engineer would be involved in includes:
- Selection, specification development, installation supervision, commissioning and condition assessment of heavy machinery.
- Equipment includes rotating machines such as hydro turbines and generators, lifting equipment such powerhouse cranes, hoists and jib cranes, and all forms of large water control valves and energy dissipation equipment.
- All auxiliary equipment associated with these installations including high pressure hydraulics units, lubrication systems, water filtration systems for cooling and associated piping systems.
- All forms of machinery fabrication and machining processes, notably welding and nondestructive testing.
The Mechanical Engineer will play a support role within the group, performing technical work as well as taking responsibility of projects and project management related tasks aligned with the background and skills of the candidate. Since this the hydropower sector is a niche industry the intent is for the successful candidate to learn and grow in this position under the mentorship of our Senior Engineers. You will be working in a friendly and collaborative environment with the opportunity to interface directly with clients.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Support projects, that are normally multidisciplinary in nature, either as an engineer supporting a discipline lead, be a discipline lead or as a Project Manager in some cases. You will normally be involved in more than one project at a time.
- Understand codes and standards relevant for the project and be able to communicate all requirements to the internal project team, external project team, owner and Authorities having Jurisdiction.
- Perform site resident duties, on occasion, responsible for monitoring mechanical activities for compliance to contract requirements and specifications, address site concerns and issues and perform regular reporting requirements.
- Able to interact with clients and construction firms in a collaborative approach and know when to escalate items to resolve.
- As a discipline Lead or supporting engineer you would be asked to:
- Help develop concepts and estimates to support feasibility studies and concept developments.
- Develop drawings and specifications to prepare a project for construction.
- Review design submittals and respond to inquiries during the construction of the project.
- Review quality plans from vendors and perform factory inspections as required.
- Support the planning and execution of site installation and commissioning activities.
- Perform site inspections and prepare condition assessment reports of various machinery.
- Prepare capital cost estimates.
- When performing a role as a Project Manager the responsibilities will include:
- Working collaboratively with other disciplines and the project management team, ensuring schedule and budget are achieved.
- Monitoring changes in the scope of work and preparing amendments to the contract for review and submission to client.
- Preparing and continually monitoring a schedule of tasks required to complete the project, including hours to perform tasks and critical data required for performance.
- Organizing and attending meetings, including client meetings.
- Performing regular internal reporting requirements.
- Develop and maintain contacts and good working relationships with external consultants and industry vendors.
- Endeavour to show consistent progression of expertise in the industries served by KGS Group through direct work on projects with other senior staff, seek opportunities to participate in training opportunities, prepare and deliver presentations either internally or at conferences.
- Assist or lead the preparation of KGS Group proposals for engineering services as assigned.
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experiences. Some highlights could include:
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering from a recognized university. Advanced degrees (i.e., M. Eng., M. Sc.) will be considered an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in mechanical engineering with demonstrated technical (data analysis, code and regulations reviews, design calculations, technical report writing) and project management skills (writing project progress reports, tracking budgets and maintaining schedules).
- Demonstrated experience in at least one of the following areas: hands on exposure to heavy machinery, mechanical equipment specification/design/selection, hydraulic systems, fire protection, atmospheric and pressure vessel design, procurement and construction support from tendering to inspections.
- Knowledge of turbomachinery and any experience with this equipment is an asset.
- Must be registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer in Ontario.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Ability to travel to project sites on an as required basis for site visits, typically for data collection or attendance at coordination or design review meetings.
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.