Junior to Intermediate Electrical Engineer
KGS Group is seeking a junior to intermediate Electrical Engineer to join our growing North West Hydropower and Water Resources group in Seattle, WA, or our new office opening in Vancouver BC.
KGS Group is a consulting engineering, design, and project management firm which has been operating since 1986. We are an employee owned multi-disciplinary engineering firm of over 400, with 6 office locations across North America, and another opening in Vancouver. We are staffed by an experienced team of engineers and scientists, the majority holding advanced degrees. Services are provided to government, public, and private sector clients in Canada and the United States.
As we are developing services across the west coast, including some major utilities and we are hiring junior to intermediate electrical staff to support our work, and work closely with the staff in our other offices. You will participate in design, day-to-day project work and some business development. You will be working in a friendly and collaborative environment with opportunity to interface directly with clients. You will be located in Bellevue (Seattle Area), Washington or Vancouver, British Columbia.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Designing modifications to, or entirely new, Electrical, Instrumentation and Balance of Plant systems related to dams, control structures, water retaining structures, switchyards, and hydroelectric generating stations, as well as supporting groups in our wide variety of engineering services.
- Managing and executing multiple projects from the proposal stage through to completion. Projects will include a variety of small to large projects involving primarily water resources, flood control and hydroelectric sectors.
- Preparation and review of reports;
- Working collaboratively with other disciplines to execute project deliverables, as well as ensuring that quality objectives, schedules and budgets are met;
- Client interaction: must be able to effectively assume a role as project liaison at project meetings and communicate project and technical information;
- With support, pursuing new business opportunities with new and existing clients;
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized university; a post graduate degree would be an asset;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in electrical engineering, five would be preferred;
- Project management skills would be a benefit (Tracking budgets and meeting schedules);
- Registered or ability to register as a either a PE in the US, or P. Eng in Canada would be required, both would be a significant benefit.
- Previous consulting experience is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required;
- Candidate must be able to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Some experience in site investigations, condition assessments, design and construction support is preferred;
- Experience with Station Service distribution (All voltages), Medium Voltage equipment, Fixed bus power distribution systems, PLC Automation (for equipment control), Generator and Transformers including related Monitoring Systems, communication systems, System Grounding, hoists and gate automation, and balance of plant systems for hydroelectric stations preferred but industrial experience will be considered;
- Useful experience to note would be any experience for utilities and industrial applications related to the listed scope above, also include any of the following information which may be applicable:
- Backup power systems (Include UPS, DC systems and Fuel fired backup),
- Lighting, (including emergency and exit lighting systems),
- Fiber and copper structured cable systems, and associated networking equipment,
- DCS and PLC Automation, HMI and RTU Integration, (Include any programming experience)
- Protection systems experience, including specifying, setting and verifying, (Include reference to voltages)
- Load flow analysis, system modelling, arc-flash, grounding other electrical studies (Include reference to software used, and any training)
- NERC/CIP planning,
- Physical or Cyber Security planning or design,
- Unit outage planning
- Other renewable energy experience
- Travel to project sites is usually limited but is required depending of project/client requirements;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks.
- Having a drive, attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.
- Candidates local to Seattle\Bellevue or Vancouver BC area strongly preferred.
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package. Salary is based on experience.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.