KGS Group is seeking a Mechanical Technologist/Designer to join our well-established office in Winnipeg, MB.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. Working with us means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
In this role, you will have the ability work on a variety of small to large mechanical engineering projects and be a key part of providing effective design solutions for multi-disciplinary projects. This position offers significant opportunity for professional growth including working on multi-disciplinary projects, client interaction, and much more!
Your Key Responsibilities:
- You would work under the guidance of a mechanical engineer but should be able to work fairly independently as a designer. The engineer would provide the basic design requirements for a component or system and then you would be responsible for performing the basic design, equipment selection, checks for code and regulatory compliance. You would also draft some or all of the work in 2D (or a combination of 2D and 3D) on drawings that are suitable for draft review, tender and construction (depending on the stage of the project). The engineer would then review and provide comments so the designer could revise the design to final.
- You would also be expected to perform (occasional) field work at the preliminary design phase (data collection, etc.), final design phase (locating tie-in points, troubleshooting detailed design issues, etc.) and the construction phase (performing basic QA, KGS site presence during construction, responding to contractor questions, etc.), however, past experience would not be essential.
- Working collaboratively with other disciplines to execute project deliverables, as well as organizing your time so that your quality objectives, schedules and budgets are met.
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experiences. Some highlights could include:
- Must be a motivated person who likes to design and solve problems using practical solutions;
- 5 to 20 years of experience in mechanical design;
- Previous consulting experience is preferred;
- Previous in-plant or other hands-on experience is an asset;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required;
- Candidate must be able to work independently with minimal supervision;
- 2D drafting experience using AutoCAD, or similar software;
- 3D drafting experience is a plus but not essential;
- Has experience with design / selection / sizing of components or systems for one or more of the following:
- Industrial Process Piping & Equipment;
- Industrial & Commercial HVAC;
- Dust Collection and Vapor Absorption Systems;
- Fire Protection;
- Food Grade and Pharmaceutical Systems;
- Materials Handling Systems;
- Fuel Storage and Handling Systems;
- Plumbing and Sanitary Systems;
- Sewage and Water Treatment;
- Sewage Conveyance and Water Distribution;
- Energy Conservation and Recovery Systems;
- Cooling Towers.
- Travel to project sites is usually limited but is occasionally required depending on project/client requirements;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks.
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.