Senior Civil/Structural Engineer
KGS Group is seeking a Senior Civil/Structural Engineer to join our well established Civil/Structural Department in Mississauga, Ontario.
KGS Group is a consulting engineering, design and project management firm which has been operating since 1986. We are an employee owned multi-disciplinary company of over 400 with six office locations across North America and another opening in Vancouver. KGS Group provides a full range of services to the industrial, municipal and hydropower industries. Services are provided to government, public and private sector clients in Canada and the United States.
We are seeking applicants for a Senior Level Structural Engineer for our Mississauga, Ontario office with extensive experience working with concrete and steel structures. The successful applicant will have a minimum of 10 years’ experience. The role will include the management of assigned projects and providing technical contributions to these projects. The technical work includes working on feasibility studies, engineering designs, preparation of construction drawings and specifications and carrying out structural inspections primarily for rehabilitation and upgrades to water retaining structures, hydroelectric facilities and new hydroelectric developments in Canada.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Perform site inspections and condition assessments of existing concrete, steel or timber structures
- Assess structures and investigate alternative methods for carrying out remedial projects for hydroelectric facilities and water retaining structures (i.e., intake structures, retaining walls, penstocks, spillways, etc.)
- Carry out structural design and analysis for dams and hydroelectric facilities
- Preparation and review of all deliverables for the project including reports, calculations, drawings and/or specifications
- Quantity and cost estimating for proposed construction projects
- Prepares and continually monitors a schedule of tasks required to complete the project on time, on budget and on spec including hours to perform tasks and critical data required for performance
- Analyze and interpret engineering reports, professional journals, technical procedures, code/standards and governmental regulations. Must also be able to write or proof-read reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals and to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, colleagues and the general public
- Keeps the Civil/Structural Department Head advised of all changes in scope of work and prepares amendments to the contract for review and submission to client
- Preparation, development, write-up and review of proposals
- Provide construction site support
- Review shop drawings and contractor’s submittals
- Oversees the work of junior engineers
- Supports the process of accounts receivable
- Liaises with external consultants, vendors as required to ensure smooth project delivery
- Helping to maintain strong relationships with clients
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in civil/structural engineering with demonstrated project management skills (i.e. writing progress reports, tracking budgets and meeting schedules)
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in civil engineering from a recognized university (Master’s degree is an asset)
- Must be registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer in Ontario
- Experience in the hydroelectric field with heavy civil projects, including water retaining structures and flood control structures, and knowledge of the Canadian Dam Association (CDA) Dam Safety Guidelines is an asset
- Proficiency with Mathcad and structural software such as “STAAD.Pro”
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD would be an asset
- Strong proficiency in Windows Microsoft Office
- Highly proactive with exceptional problem solving/analytical skills
- Excellent oral & written English language skills. Competency in a second language, both spoken and written would be considered an asset
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks
- The work will mainly be carried out of our Mississauga office. Travel to various outdoor sites and durations at the sites will be determined by project needs
KGS Group believes in assisting each of our employees to fulfill their career goals. We offer professional development opportunities along with a competitive pay and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.