Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Winnipeg) (1)
KGS Group is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our well established Geotechnical Department in Winnipeg, MB.
Over the past 30 years, KGS Group has grown to be the largest employee-owned engineering consulting firms based in Manitoba. We’re multi-disciplinary and have led significant public and private projects across Canada and internationally.
With approximately 270 local engineers, scientists and support staff, we offer numerous resources to collaborate, learn and grow. The Geotechnical Group in particular numbers approximately 35, providing a significant support network with other intelligent, motivated staff. We work together, creating innovative solutions for our clients in a friendly, collaborative work environment. It’s a place where you can apply your abilities and contribute to challenging and meaningful projects all throughout Canada.
The Senior Geotechnical Engineer will have the ability to complete and manage large geotechnical engineering projects and provide effective design solutions for multi-disciplinary projects. This position offers significant opportunity for professional growth including but not limited to managing multi-disciplinary projects, client interaction and business development, and much more!
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Direct a wide variety of geotechnical projects, including field investigation, laboratory testing and interpretation; design and construction; geotechnical analysis; and dam safety inspections and reviews
- Direct and review geotechnical analyses and provide technical expertise with a focus on soil mechanics, foundation design, soil-structure interaction and dam engineering.
- Manage quality control and risks during geotechnical and design work, including critical review of results in coordination with other discipline Leads
- Manage multidisciplinary projects and ensure that quality projects are delivered on time and within approved budget in coordination with other discipline Leads
- Maintain existing client relationships and develop new business opportunities
- Prepare and review technical proposals and design work packages in response to client requests.
- Coach and mentor junior and intermediate staff with respect to their career growth and professional development
- Participate in hiring, performance reviews, and training decisions
- Participate in and promote KGS Group’s safety-first culture
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experiences. Some highlights could include:
- Bachelors of Science in Civil or Geological Engineering. Post-graduate degree M.Sc. and/or Ph.D. in Civil/Geotechnical engineering will be considered an asset.
- Current registration or eligibility to register as a P.Eng. in Manitoba
- Minimum 10 years of experience in geotechnical engineering in the civil, dam safety and infrastructure industry
- Knowledge of fundamental requirements of geotechnical engineering and the basic requirements of other engineering fields
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to identify problems and implement or recommend solutions
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, innovation, and commitment to technical excellence
- Demonstrated abilities in effective time management and prioritization, attention to detail, and working effectively in an environment requiring prioritization of several assignments simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and demonstrate accountability to working independently as well as part of a team
- Some exposure to or knowledge of numerical modeling and finite element analysis, and computer aided design drafting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint software.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; strong report writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to use tact, judgment, and discretion while maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to perform assigned duties with minimal supervision
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures
- Demonstrated mentoring and leadership experience
- Learn and adapt to new technology as it relates to engineering practices and procedures
- Interact effectively with colleagues, senior project managers, and the general public
- Ability and interest in travelling domestically and internationally
- Willing and able to work extended hours, when needed, to meet deadlines
- Valid Driver’s License
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.