Civil Engineer-in-Training (US)
KGS Group is expanding into California! We are looking for a Civil Engineer-in-Training to join our growing Sacramento office.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. Working with us means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects up and down the west coast. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
Many of our core clients operate in the hydropower and water management fields. We are growing our U.S. team to continue to provide our industry-leading services to these clients. As we expand our presence in California and in these markets, we are looking for strong candidates at all levels to join our team!
We are looking for a Civil Engineer-in-Training to join our hydro group on the west coast, but also potentially for remote work anywhere across the country. We are looking for candidates who possess a desire to understand remote site development, including access. The ideal candidate is an Engineer-in-Training with knowledge of civil design and someone who has an excitement for dams, levees, remote site construction, hydraulic analysis and a passion to be outdoors.
Technical work in this role includes feasibility studies, engineering designs, preparation of construction drawings and specifications for hydroelectric facilities and new hydroelectric developments in Canada and the USA.
- Participate in site inspections and condition assessments of existing water retaining and water conveyance structures
- Prepare civil design and analysis for flumes, canals, pipelines and penstocks, dams and hydroelectric facilities
- Prepare all deliverables for projects including reports, calculations, drawings and/or specifications
- Continually monitor your schedule of tasks required to complete the project on time, on budget and on spec including hours to perform tasks and critical data required for performance against a schedule and budget the team sets for the project
- Help keep project managers advised of all changes in scope of work and possibly prepare amendments to contracts for review and submission to client
- Review shop drawings and contractor’s submittals
- Help maintain strong relationships with clients
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) in civil engineering from a recognized and accredited university with an emphasis in civil engineering
- Must be eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) in California within 5 years of hire date
- Knowledge of hydraulics, including water retaining structures and flood control structures, and ability to learn FERC Guidelines and remote sites is an asset
- Proficiency with Civil3D, Hec-RAS and other civil design tools
- A working knowledge of AutoCAD and other drafting tools would be an asset
- Strong proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office
- Highly proactive with exceptional problem solving/analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks
- Working locations and offices will depend on the applicant; attendance at a KGS Group office regularly is encouraged to strengthen the mentorship and development of staff and travel to various outdoor sites and durations at the sites will be determined by project and individual needs
- Experience with CDA and FERC Guidelines and working on dam safety in Canada or the USA are an asset
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.