Civil Engineer (US)
KGS Group is expanding into California! We are looking for a Civil Engineer to join our growing Sacramento office.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. Working with us means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects up and down the west coast. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
Many of our core clients operate in the hydropower and water management fields. We are growing our U.S. team to continue to provide our industry-leading services to these clients. As we expand our presence in California and in these markets, we are looking for strong candidates at all levels to join our team!
We are looking for a Civil Engineer to join our hydro group on the west coast, but also potentially for remote work anywhere across the country. We are looking for candidates who understands remote site development, including access as well as someone who has worked on canals, levees and dams. The successful applicants will hold a Professional Engineering license in California. We are looking for someone with 5+ years of experience in various hydroelectric and water resource projects.
Technical work in this role includes feasibility studies, engineering designs, preparation of construction drawings and specifications and project management for hydroelectric facilities and new hydroelectric developments in Canada and the USA.
- Perform site inspections and condition assessments of existing water retaining and water conveyance structures
- Assess and investigating alternative methods for carrying out remedial projects for hydroelectric facilities and water retaining and flow control structures
- Carry out civil design and analysis for flumes, canals, pipelines and penstocks, roads, dams and hydroelectric facilities and civil designs for water conveyance include hydrology and hydraulics evaluation; experience with HEC-RAS is a plus
- Prepare and review all deliverables for projects including reports, calculations, drawings and/or specifications
- May include quantity and cost estimating for proposed construction projects
- Prepare and continually monitor a schedule of tasks required to complete the project on time, on budget and on spec including hours to perform tasks and critical data required for performance
- Analyze and interpret engineering reports, professional journals, technical procedures, code/standards and governmental regulations
- Write or proofread reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals and effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, colleagues and the general public
- Keep project and department managers advised of all changes in scope of work and possibly prepare amendments to contracts for review and submission to client
- Prepare, develop, write and review proposals
- Provide construction site support periodically or full-time, dependant on the project needs
- Review shop drawings and contractor’s submittals
- Participate in mentorship as mentors and mentees for all levels of practice
- Coordinate with external consultants, vendors as required to ensure smooth project delivery
- Help maintain strong relationships with clients
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) in civil engineering from a recognized university (master’s degree or PhD is an asset)
- 5+ years of experience in civil engineering and project management
- Must be registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) in California
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Licensing is an asset
- Experience in the water resource and hydroelectric field with heavy civil projects, including water retaining structures and flood control structures, and knowledge of FERC Guidelines and remote sites is an asset
- Proficiency with Civil3D, Hec-Ras and other water resource tools
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and other drafting tools would be an asset
- Strong proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office
- Highly proactive with exceptional problem solving/analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks
- Working locations and offices will depend on the applicant; attendance at a KGS Group office regularly is encouraged to strengthen the mentorship and development of staff and travel to various outdoor sites and durations at the sites will be determined by project and individual needs
- Experience with CDA and FERC Guidelines and working on dam safety in Canada or the USA are an asset
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.