Civil/Structural Engineering Technologist (3D Modelling and Drafting)
KGS Group is seeking a Civil/Structural Engineering Technologist to join our well-established team in Mississauga, ON. The successful candidate will carry out drafting as well as 3D modelling and design tasks.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. It’s a place where you can apply your abilities and contribute to challenging and meaningful projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll also have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
The successful candidate will be working on hydro structural and civil projects to perform drafting and 3D modelling for development and rehabilitation of large-scale hydro and water resources projects. In this position you will gain valuable experience in the design and modelling used in the hydroelectric field, working alongside a group of senior engineers working on projects involving heavy civil project design, including design of water retaining structures and flood control structures.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Produce drawings and 3D models from rough sketches and instructions, maps, charts and diagrams in accordance with established practices and techniques
- Apply processes and procedures to effectively generate BIM/3D models to the required level of detail
- Support the generation of software specification for the production of BIM Models
- Build and maintain external references and models
- Generate drawings with both 2D and 3D content to client drafting standards
- Produce layouts and details for large civil structures, buildings, structural works, utilities, waterways, etc.; support dimensional calculations
- Ensure drawing development adheres to company/client drafting standards with emphasis on quality assurance and project schedule
- Achieve the required degree of accuracy in details such as density, width and uniformity of lines, placement of lines, letters and symbols
- Work under close supervision with regular reviews for technical accuracy and completeness
- Effectively coordinate with other disciplines, designers and technologists
- Expected to work in AutoCAD and Autodesk Civil 3D
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experience. Some highlights could include:
- Graduate of a 3 year civil or structural engineering technology program
- A valid CET designation or equivalent is an asset
- Preferably 5+ years experience
- Preferably experience working in a consulting engineering office delivering projects for utility clients
- Proficient in the use of current AutoCAD software and Autodesk Civil 3D
- Knowledgeable in the use and configuration of Autodesk Revit, Navisworks and Inventor are an asset
- Some knowledge of other software used for BIM/parametric modelling would be beneficial. The candidate should specifically identify if there is any other software they are familiar with. For example:
- Autodesk Recap
- Leica Cyclone
- Microstation and other Bentley Products
- other plant modelling software in a BIM environment
- Proficiency in a Microsoft 365 environment, particularly Outlook and Teams; MS Word and Excel are an asset
- Excellent technical and verbal communication skills
- Ability to acquire as-built information from a site visit is an asset
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Ability to coordinate with multiple disciplines is an asset
- Ability to pass a basic AutoCAD test
- A valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks
- Travel to project sites is usually limited but may be required depending of project/client requirements
KGS Group is an employee-owned, equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.