Environmental Scientist or Engineer-in-Training
KGS Group is looking for an Environmental Scientist or Engineer-in-Training with a background in hydrogeology, remediation design and specifications, solid waste and/or wastewater management, to join our Environmental team in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. Working with us means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
In this role you will primarily assist senior staff with a view to developing into a leadership role within the department through our mentorship program. You will be working in a collaborative environment with a great team of engineers, scientists and technologists.
Responsibilities are anticipated to include but are not necessarily limited to:
- Assisting senior environmental staff with scoping, developing budgets, and executing a variety of environmental programs including site remediation projects, environmental site assessments (ESAs), hazardous materials assessments, solid waste planning, ongoing monitoring programs, and hydrogeological studies.
- Assist senior staff with responding to Request to Proposals related to environmental work.
- Preparation and review of deliverables, reports, and technical specifications, as well as working collaboratively with other disciplines to execute project deliverables, and ensuring that quality, objectives, schedules, and budgets are met.
- Manage health and safety onsite for field projects, coordinate field programs, complete sub-contractor oversight and organize/manage field teams.
- Assist in the design of sampling programs for the collection of soil, groundwater, surface water and sediments.
- Safely perform work in the office and field; fieldwork may occur in all seasonal weather conditions, using equipment and operating vehicles on behalf of the company.
- Willing and able to work extended hours, when needed, to meet deadlines.
- Active participation in professional associations and committees.
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experiences. Some highlights could include:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Civil-Environmental Engineering from a recognized university (for an environmental engineering position); minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science/Geology-hydrogeology or related discipline (for an environmental scientist/geoscientist position); a post graduate degree would be a significant asset.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in environmental engineering or environmental science.
- Internally motivated with good organizational skills, routinely takes initiative, handles challenges, prioritizes multiple tasks, and provides superior service to clients.
- Demonstrates a commitment to personal and professional career development.
- Public engagement experience is an asset.
- Familiarity working within and with ISO 14001 certifications and audits is an asset.
- Familiarity with environmental risk and mitigation is an asset.
- Preference to individuals eligible for registration as a professional engineer or geoscientist in Ontario, as well as other Canadian provinces.
- Previous consulting experience is an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Travel to project sites is usually limited but is required depending on project/client requirements.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks.
- Knowledge and experience with the Ontario and federal environmental site assessment regulatory environment.
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.