Geotechnical Engineer-in-Training (Winnipeg)
KGS Group is seeking a Geotechnical Engineer-in-Training to join our well-established Geotechnical Department in Winnipeg, MB.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. Working with us means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
The Geotechnical Engineer-in-Training will be a recent University graduate that is interested in pursuing a career in geotechnical engineering to join our Winnipeg office. In this role you will have the opportunity to perform geotechnical and geologic evaluations and calculations, write technical documents, conduct subsurface investigations, and provide field monitoring, testing, and sampling for a variety of projects.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Assisting with scoping, developing budget, executing, monitoring, and interpreting subsurface exploration programs.
- Monitor and log test boring explorations including visual identification and classification of soil and rock materials, and preparation of boring logs using multiple logging software programs.
- Install and monitor geotechnical instrumentation systems.
- Review and interpret the results from geotechnical laboratory testing programs.
- Perform geotechnical calculations and analyses involving interpretation of subsurface conditions, soil mechanics, foundation engineering, and slope stabilization.
- Perform geotechnical analyses with computer models for slope/embankment stability, braced excavations, pile and drilled shaft foundation capacities, shallow foundation capacities, MSE wall foundation design, and foundation/embankment settlement estimates.
- Prepare geotechnical data reports, and report-quality calculation packages.
- Write technical reports, design memoranda, field reports, cost estimating, specifications, and permit documents.
- Safely perform work in the office and field; fieldwork may occur in all seasonal weather conditions, using equipment (with an ability to lift and move approximately 50 pounds without assistance) and operating vehicles on behalf of the company.
- Willing and able to work extended hours, when needed, to meet deadlines.
- Ability and interest in travelling locally and/or national (up to 50% of the time), with possible short-term or long-term assignments at project sites.
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experiences. Some highlights could include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Geotechnical, or Geological Engineering. Post-graduate degree M.Sc. and/or Ph.D. in Civil/Geotechnical engineering will be considered an asset.
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) or Engineering Intern (EI) designation or an ability to obtain within two years.
- Academic or professional training in soil mechanics, foundation engineering with emphasis in several of the following areas: geology, subsurface investigations, geotechnical laboratory testing, mechanics of materials, foundation design, slope stability analyses, soil and rock slope stabilization, earth support structures, geomorphology, and surveying/GIS.
- 0-3 years’ experience in the geology, geotechnical, civil, or dam engineering fields, to include: field logging and sampling, slope stability, settlement, earth retaining structure, foundations, general civil design, construction, or other geotechnical analyses.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint software.
- Some exposure to or knowledge of numerical modeling and finite element analysis, and computer aided design drafting.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited senior oversight.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with a team or with minimal supervision, and with contractors and multi-disciplinary environment, with a willingness to perform a variety of assignments on short notice with a positive attitude.
- Strong attention to detail; accuracy is essential.
- Focused organization and time management abilities.
- Excellent verbal and strong writing skills.
- Understanding the importance of health & safety as a top priority.
- Valid Driver’s License.
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.