Geotechnical Engineer (Mississauga)
KGS Group is seeking an Intermediate to Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our well-established office in Mississauga, ON.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. Working with us means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
In this role, you will manage geotechnical engineering projects and provide effective design solutions for multi-disciplinary projects. Projects will include a variety of small to large jobs spanning from water resources, flood control, hydroelectric, transportation and industrial development. This position offers significant opportunity for professional growth including, but not limited to, managing multi-disciplinary projects, client interaction, business development, and much more!
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Direct a wide variety of geotechnical projects, including field investigations, laboratory testing and interpretation, design and construction, geotechnical analysis and dam safety inspections and reviews
- Direct and review geotechnical analyses and provide technical expertise with a focus on soil mechanics, foundation design, soil-structure interaction and dam engineering
- Fieldwork includes inspection and material testing for a wide variety of geotechnical consulting projects. This work will involve geotechnical sampling and logging, soil and concrete testing and dam safety general inspections
- Manage quality control and risks during geotechnical and design work, including critical review of results in coordination with other discipline leads
- Manage multi-disciplinary projects and ensure that quality projects are delivered on time and within approved budget in coordination with other discipline leads
- Maintain existing client relationships and develop new business opportunities
- Prepare and review technical proposals and reports in response to client requests
- Coach and mentor junior and intermediate staff with respect to their career growth and professional development
- Participate in hiring, performance reviews, and training decisions
- Participate in and promote KGS Group’s safety-first culture
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experience. Some highlights could include:
- Bachelors of Science in Civil or Geological Engineering. Post-graduate degree M.Sc. and/or Ph.D. in Civil/Geotechnical engineering will be considered an asset
- Current registration or eligibility to register as a P. Eng. in Ontario
- Minimum 5 years of experience in geotechnical engineering in the civil, dam safety and infrastructure industry
- Knowledge of fundamental requirements of geotechnical engineering and the basic requirements of other engineering fields
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to identify problems and implement or recommend solutions
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, innovation, and commitment to technical excellence
- Demonstrated abilities in effective time management and prioritization, attention to detail and working effectively in an environment requiring prioritization of several assignments simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and demonstrate accountability to working independently as well as part of a team
- Some exposure to or knowledge of numerical modeling and finite element analysis, and computer aided design drafting
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint software
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; strong report writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to use tact, judgment, and discretion while maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to perform assigned duties with minimal supervision
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures
- Demonstrated mentoring and leadership experience
- Learn and adapt to new technology as it relates to engineering practices and procedures
- Interact effectively with colleagues, senior project managers, and the general public
- Ability and interest in travelling domestically and internationally
- Willing and able to work extended hours, when needed, to meet deadlines
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.