Intermediate Contaminated Sites Specialist (Winnipeg)
KGS Group is seeking an Intermediate Contaminated Sites Specialist to join our well-established, Winnipeg Environmental Department.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. It’s a place where you can apply your abilities and contribute to challenging and meaningful projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll also have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
The Intermediate Contaminated Sites Specialist will have the ability and experience to work within our department management structure, to support and mentor employees as a technical resource contributing to all contaminated sites projects and activities within the department. Working directly with all levels of environmental staff, from field teams to Project Managers, and with the Assistant Department Head and Department Head as required, the Intermediate Contaminated Sites Specialist will provide technical input and guidance on proposals, field investigation plans, remedial plans, and troubleshooting, and will provide detailed review and QA/QC of deliverables. They will serve as a technical resource to ensure quality planning, execution, and documentation of all contaminated sites work, sometimes working with teams from multiple offices. You are responsible as a mentor / coach to junior field staff and the field lead for complex and challenging contaminated sites projects. To fulfil these responsibilities, the Intermediate Contaminated Sites specialist is expected to spend most of their time actively working within and managing projects, and project teams, which is chargeable to those projects.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Providing technical oversight and mentoring on proposals, field projects, and engineering deliverables.
- Ability to mobilize to emergency sites (Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario) to provide on-site direction and supervision.
- Ensuring employees have access to tools, training and support that helps them develop and achieve success in their positions.
- Working with the Quality Management team to uphold quality standards and procedures
- Working with the Health and Safety Management team to reinforce safety as a top priority, compliance with local legislated and best practice safety needs and ensure required safety training and equipment is available to all staff.
- Ability to manage projects of significant complexity, and often with competing priorities.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Environmental Science, Geoscience, or Technologist diploma with relevant experience or similar bachelor's degree
- 10 years of experience, which will be a combination of technical and supervisory experience
- Demonstrated experience in environmental emergency response and incident command
- Demonstrated experience undertaking contaminated site investigations, risk management and remediation projects
- Demonstrated experience managing projects, tasks and deliverables in a team environment
- Registered as professional (e.g., P.Eng., L.Eng., P. Geol. EP is considered an asset
- HAZWOPER and/or eRailSafe training considered an asset
- Strong organization and planning skills; strong research and technical writing skills. Ability to present information concisely and clearly
- Strong commitment to health and safety
- Strong business acumen and ability to establish and foster an excellent business and technical relationship with clients
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with clients, lead and motivate employees and help coordinate project teams
- Strong report writing and data analysis skills and a strong focus on quality and technical excellence
- Knowledge of relevant environmental legislation, regulations, codes and standards
- Technical knowledge of contamination fate and transport
- The ability to make sound, defensible decisions
- Strong technical design and analytical skills as related to environmental projects
- Experience in the mining, oil and gas, and transportation sectors is considered an asset;
- Experience working with Indigenous clients is an asset
- Ability to travel to sites as needed
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package. We believe in assisting each of our employees to fulfill their career goals. We offer professional development opportunities along with a competitive pay and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.