Senior Electrical Engineer (US)
KGS Group is looking for a Senior Electrical Engineer to join our newly established office in Granite Bay, California.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. Working with us means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects up and down the west coast. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
Many of our core clients operate in the hydropower and water management fields. We are growing our U.S. team to continue to provide our industry-leading services to these clients. As we expand our presence in California and in these markets, we are looking for strong candidates at all levels to join our team!
As a Senior Electrical Engineer, you will be responsible for providing engineering inputs integral to both small- and large-scale hydro projects. You will lead and mentor teams, support management of production and coordinate delivery of engineering inputs often with multi-disciplinary project team members and senior stakeholders. You will not only support and help grow the broader engineering team capabilities, but your particular focus will be on continuing the development of our powerhouse and energy capabilities and working with key staff in growing that aspect of the business.
You’ll also be involved in supporting project management duties, liaising with both internal and external clients as well as assisting with guiding and mentoring graduate engineers within the team. In this role you will lead teams conducting technical work for feasibility studies, engineering designs, preparation of construction drawings and specifications and carrying out onsite visits for rehabilitation and upgrades to dams, hydroelectric facilities and new hydroelectric developments. You will participate in design and business development and play a large role in mentoring the team. You will be working in a collaborative environment with a great team of engineers and scientists, and you will also interface directly with clients.
- Provide input to those managing and executing multiple projects (small to large) from the proposal stage through to completion
- Establish connections with other departments to support and enhance service delivery
- Work collaboratively with other disciplines and multidisciplinary project teams to execute project deliverables, as well as ensure that quality objectives, schedules and budgets are met
- Mentor junior staff
- Design modifications to, or entirely new, electrical, instrumentation and balance of plant systems related to dams, control structures, water retaining structures, switchyards and hydroelectric generating stations
- Manage and execute multiple projects from the proposal stage through to completion; Projects will include a variety of small to large projects involving water resources, flood control and hydroelectric sectors
- Prepare and review reports
- Perform load calculations
- Edit and prepare design specifications
- Provide detailed designs and coordination of facilities with team members
- Conduct QA/QC on the work of other electrical engineers, electrical Coordinators or technicians as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in electrical engineering from a recognized university; A post graduate degree is an asset
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in electrical engineering with demonstrated project management skills (tracking budgets and meeting schedules)
- Must be registered as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) in California, as well as eligible for registration as a professional engineer in the state of Washington (as well as other states) would be a plus
- Previous consulting experience is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Candidate must be able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Must be able to effectively assume a lead role as project engineer at project meetings and communicate project and technical information with clients
- Demonstrated experience in site investigations, condition assessments, design and construction support are preferred
- Experience with station service distribution (all voltages), medium voltage equipment, fixed bus power distribution systems, Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) automation (for equipment control), generators and transformers including related monitoring systems, communication systems, system grounding, hoists and gate automation and balance of plant systems for hydroelectric stations preferred, but industrial experience will be considered
- Experience with the following would be considered an asset:
- Backup power systems (including Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), Direct Current systems and fuel fired backup)
- Lighting (including emergency and exit lighting systems)
- Fiber and copper structured cable systems, and associated networking equipment
- Distributed Control System (DCS) and PLC Automation, Human Machine Interface (HMI) and Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) integration (including any programming experience)
- Protection systems experience, including specifying, setting and verifying (include reference to voltages)
- Load flow analysis, system modelling, arc-flash, grounding, and other electrical studies (include reference to software used and any training)
- North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC)/Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) planning
- Physical or cyber security planning or design
- Unit outage planning
- Other renewable energy experience
- Travel to project sites is usually limited but is required depending on project/client requirements
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks
- Have the drive, attitude and commitment to being an active participant in our employee-owned culture is a must
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.