Senior Environmental Scientist or Engineer
KGS Group is looking for a Senior Environmental Scientist or Engineer with a background in hydrogeology, remediation design and specifications, solid waste and/or wastewater management, to join our Environmental team in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. Working with us means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
In this role you will undertake a leadership role within the department, reporting directly to the Department Head. You will participate in design, day-to-day project work, business development, and play a large role in mentoring the team. You will be working in a collaborative environment with a great team of engineers and scientists, and you will also have the opportunity to interface directly with clients.
Responsibilities are anticipated to include but are not necessarily limited to:
- Senior level engineering assessment and design experience is required. You will provide senior level design expertise and guidance on environmental projects.
- Contribution and leadership in the implementation of KGS Group operational business plans.
- Leadership in the development and continued enhancement of relationships with existing clients.
- Leadership in the identification and development of new business opportunities with both private and public sector clients.
- Commitment to providing leadership and contributing to the career development of junior/intermediate staff, including providing technical direction, training recommendations, coaching and mentoring.
- Active participation in professional associations and committees, as well as continued fostering of client relationships.
- Respond to Request to Proposals related to environmental work and develop strong client relationships.
- Manage environmental projects, including preparation of work plans with associated budgets and schedules.
- Preparation and review of deliverables, reports and technical specifications, as well as working collaboratively with other disciplines to execute project deliverables, and ensuring that quality objectives, schedules and budgets are met.
- Manage health and safety onsite for field projects, coordinate field programs, prepare project contracts/agreements, complete sub-contractor oversight and organize/manage field teams.
- Design sampling programs for the collection of soil, groundwater, surface water and sediments.
- Work with remediation technical teams on development of site remediation options and/or contaminated site management options.
- Lead the management and interpretation of data, and preparation of technical contaminated site reports.
- Coordinate and manage environmental projects including site remediation projects, environmental site assessments (ESAs), hazardous materials assessments, solid waste planning, ongoing monitoring programs, and hydrogeological studies.
- Provide input to the Management Team regarding the career development of junior staff.
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experiences. Some highlights could include:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Civil-Environmental Engineering from a recognized university (for an environmental engineering position); minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science/Geology-hydrogeology or related discipline (for an environmental scientist/geoscientist position); a post graduate degree would be a significant asset.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in environmental engineering or environmental science with at least 3 years of demonstrated project management skills (Tracking budgets and meeting schedules).
- Internally motivated with good organizational skills, routinely takes initiative, handles challenges, prioritizes multiple tasks, and provides superior service to clients.
- Demonstrates a commitment to personal and professional career development.
- Public engagement experience is an asset.
- Familiarity working within and with ISO 14001 certifications and audits is an asset.
- Familiarity with environmental risk and mitigation is an asset.
- Nuclear industry experience is desirable but not mandatory.
- Preference to be registered or eligible for registration as a professional engineer or geoscientist in Ontario, as well as other Canadian provinces;
- Previous consulting experience is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Candidate must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated experience in site investigations, site remediation design and Contract Administration, hazardous building material condition assessments, and/or other design and construction support is preferred.
- Travel to project sites is usually limited but is required depending on project/client requirements.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks.
- Knowledge and experience with the Ontario and federal environmental site assessment regulatory environment.
- Experience preparing environmental permit applications and writing environmental assessments, including residual and cumulative effects analyses, is an asset.
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.