Senior Environmental Waste Management Engineer
KGS Group is seeking a Senior Environmental Waste Management Engineer to join our team.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. It’s a place where you can apply your abilities and contribute to challenging and meaningful projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll also have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
The Senior environmental waste management engineer will have the ability and experience to work within our department management structure, to support and mentor employees as a technical resource contributing to all solid waste management projects and activities within the department. It will be an asset to be registered with EGM, for design and report issuing. Working directly with all levels of environmental staff, from field teams to Project Managers, and with the Assistant Department Head and Department Head as required, the Senior Solid Waste Management Practitioner will provide senior technical input and guidance on proposals, field investigation plans, system designs, tender document preparation, contract administration, troubleshooting, and will provide detailed review and QA/QC of deliverables. They will serve as a technical resource to ensure quality planning, execution, and documentation of all solid waste management work, sometimes collaborating with teams from multiple offices. You are responsible as a mentor / coach to field staff and designers for complex and challenging solid waste management projects. To fulfil these responsibilities, the Senior Solid Waste Management Practitioner is expected to spend most of their time actively working within projects, either as a Project Manager or supporting Project Managers and project teams, which is chargeable to those projects. Other specific roles and responsibilities may include the following, where the Department Head may assign tasks as follows:
- Ability to manage projects of significant complexity, and often with competing priorities.
- Coordinating and managing solid waste projects including site assessment, waste audit, feasibility study, landfill gas generation modelling, waste balance modeling, engineering design, preparation of financial assurance documents, developing operational/master/capitol investment and/or emergency response plans, closure and post-closure services.
- Providing approvals, technical oversight and mentoring on proposals, field projects, and engineering deliverables.
- Facilitating coordination of multi-disciplinary work and inter-departmental activities.
- Actively engage in business development by identifying opportunities and securing new clients and projects for the department.
- Ensuring employees have access to tools, training and support that helps them develop and achieve success in their positions.
- Working with the Quality Management team to uphold quality standards and procedures
- Working with the Health and Safety Management team to reinforce safety as a top priority, compliance with local legislated and best practice safety needs and ensure required safety training and equipment is available to all staff.
- 10 years of experience, with a combination of technical, supervisory, project management and business management experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering is preferred, however an Environmental Science, or Geoscience background with relevant experience will be considered. A Post-graduate degree (M.Eng., M.Sc. and/or Ph.D.) is desirable.
- Possesses or is eligible to obtain Professional Engineering or Geoscientist registration in Manitoba and other provinces.
- Strong technical knowledge and demonstrated experience in solid waste management.
- Strong organization and planning skills; strong research and technical writing skills. Ability to present information concisely and clearly.
- Strong business acumen and ability to establish and foster an excellent business relationship with clients.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively lead and motivate employees and help manage project teams.
- Strong report writing and data analysis skills and a strong focus on quality and technical excellence.
- Demonstrates a commitment to personal and professional career development.
- Superior knowledge of relevant environmental legislation, regulations, codes, standards and best practices.
- The ability to make sound, defensible decisions.
- Demonstrated experience managing projects and multi-disciplinary project teams successfully in consulting engineering.
- Experience working with Indigenous clients is an asset.
- Ability to travel to sites as needed.
Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks.KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package. We believe in assisting each of our employees to fulfill their career goals. We offer professional development opportunities along with a competitive pay and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process