Senior Hydrology and Hydraulics Engineer
KGS Group is expanding in California! As part of this expansion, we are seeking a Senior Hydrology and Hydraulics Engineer to join our growing team in the United States. We are looking for candidates to join either our Sacramento and or Seattle office. We are flexible with the location.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. Working with us means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects up and down the west coast. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
Many of our core clients operate in the hydropower and water management fields. We are growing our U.S. team to continue to provide our industry-leading services to these clients. As we expand our presence in California and in these markets, we are looking for strong candidates at all levels to join our team!
As a Senior Hydrology and Hydraulics Engineer, you will be responsible for providing engineering inputs integral to large scale hydro projects. You will lead and mentor teams, support management of production and coordinate delivery of engineering inputs often with multi-disciplinary project team members and senior stakeholders. You will not only support and help grow the broader engineering team capabilities, but your particular focus will be on continuing the development of our powerhouse and energy capabilities and working with key staff in growing that aspect of the business.
You’ll also be involved in supporting project management duties, liaising with both internal and external clients as well as assisting with guiding and mentoring graduate engineers within the team. In this role you will lead teams conducting technical work for feasibility studies and engineering designs for a range of water resources projects, including water retaining and conveyance structures, irrigation systems, hydroelectric facilities and new hydroelectric developments. You will participate in design and business development and play a large role in mentoring the team. You will be working in a collaborative environment with a great team of engineers and scientists, and you will also interface directly with clients.
Your Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Hydrologic and hydraulic analyses and modelling
- Design of hydraulic structures, water conveyance and storage systems
- Preparation of technical reports, drawings and specifications
- Preparation of bid/proposal packages
- Preparation and delivery of professional presentations
- Collaborate with the project teams and other disciplines within KGS Group
- Helping to maintain strong relationships with clients
- Manage water resources projects from the proposal stage through to completion, including establishment of budgets and maintaining client relationships
- Pursuing new business opportunities with new and existing clients
- Managing and mentoring junior staff
- Bachelor’s degree (B.Sc.) in civil engineering with a specialization in water resources engineering from a recognized university (master’s degree is an asset)
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in hydrology and hydraulics engineering with demonstrated project management skills (i.e. tracking budgets and meeting schedules)
- Must be registered, or eligible for registration, as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) in California as well as eligible for registration as a professional engineer in the state of Washington, and other states would be an asset
- Previous consulting experience is preferred
- Highly proactive with exceptional problem solving/analytical skills
- Strong proficiency in Windows Microsoft Office
- Strong working technical knowledge of and experience in water resources engineering
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in hydrologic and hydraulic studies and designs. Including numerical modelling and analysis with industry standard software
- Experience in numerical modelling and programing skills will be considered assets.
- Organizational skills, ability to manage time and resources
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills are required. Proficiency in Spanish and or French verbal and written communication skills would be an asset
- Candidate must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of multidisciplinary teams
- Willing and able to work extended hours, when needed, to meet deadlines
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks.
- Have a drive, attitude and commitment to being an active participant in our employee-owned culture is a must
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.