Senior Structural Technologist
KGS Group is seeking a Senior Structural Technologist to join our well-established Structural group in Thunder Bay, ON.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. It’s a place where you can apply your abilities and contribute to challenging and meaningful projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll also have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
As a Senior Structural Technologist, you will have the opportunity to assist in the growth of our highly successful Thunder Bay operation. You will be engaged with our other offices and work on an exciting multidisciplinary team of planners, engineers, and landscape architects. The selected candidate will participate in multi-disciplinary projects with both public and private sector clients with a focus on buildings and civil structures.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Prepare architectural/structural engineering models and drawings with AutoCAD and Revit.
- Produce drawings from rough sketches and instructions, maps, charts, diagrams in accordance with established practices and techniques.
- Produce layouts and details for buildings, bridges, structural works, utilities, etc.; complete dimensional calculations.
- Capable of making routine decisions within established procedures and well-defined standard practices.
- Achieve the required degree of accuracy in details such as density, width and uniformity of lines, placement of lines, letters and symbols.
- Work under close supervision with reviews done regularly for technical accuracy and completeness.
- Expected to work in AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Perform Building Code Reviews and Analysis.
- Prepare and assist in the preparation of proposals and reports.
- Assist in gathering technical information for reports, specifications and analyses.
- Perform basic calculations and present them in a logical and organized manner.
- Effectively and accurately communicate information and ideas.
- Assist in preparation of presentations.
- Perform inspections and, on occasion, periods of short and/or long term field work may be required.
- Work in an inclusive and respectful professional working environment.
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experience. Some highlights could include:
- Technical college graduate in drafting technology/CAD.
- CET or in the process of obtaining considered an asset.
- Minimum 5 years of experience.
- An above average technical aptitude and a desire to further develop technical knowledge.
- Working knowledge of the building code, architectural/structural design/building sciences, construction, and drafting standards.
- Excellent working knowledge of AutoCAD 2018, Revit 2018.3, or later versions.
- Working knowledge of Civil 3D software will be considered an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, particularly Word and Excel.
- Willingness and ability to perform site inspections, in and out of town.
- Must hold a valid class 5 driver’s license.
- The ability and willingness to work overtime, as required, to successfully meet tight deadlines while producing accurate and highly detailed data.
- The ability to work efficiently and effectively with little supervision, as an individual and with a team.
- The ability to visualize and communicate complex construction details.
- Willingness to learn new software programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Commitment to quality and safety.
- Previous general experience in the construction industry would be considered an asset.
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.