Seven Oaks School Division Learning and Service Centre
Seven Oaks School Division needed an upgraded bus service facility. Seeing this as an opportunity to bring a larger vision to life, they acquired a 50-acre parcel of land for development of an all-encompassing Learning & Service Centre. This new centre would not only meet current service needs but would also serve as a multi-use space where students, parents and the broader community could come together for land-based learning and play.
KGS Group collaborated with PCL and Prairie Architects to achieve the aggressive project schedule, providing mechanical, electrical, civil and structural engineering services as well as construction administration services. Integrated design and collaboration among the project team were key to keeping costs within the school division’s budget while maintaining the project vision.
A modern space was created to house the school division’s transportation, operations and maintenance departments as well as conference rooms and vocational trades classrooms. Incorporating a combination of Indigenous and western perspectives, KGS worked with the project team to realize several other site features:
- an agricultural learning centre providing unique opportunities for hands-on learning and service space for garden and greenhouse produce
- three kilometers of granular walking trails
- toboggan hill
- naturalized storm water retention pond
- Wawiyia’kiti’gahn (circle garden), an outdoor teaching area
- a naturalized landscape and planned agricultural plots for community vegetable gardens and crops